Attendance is mandated by the State of California. Parents are legally responsible for making sure that students arrive at school on time, well rested, well nourished and ready to learn each day. Parents are responsible for notifying the school of any absences. Excessive absences and/or tardies will affect student performance and achievement. Absences have a financial impact on the school district; the school district loses approximately $40 per day in funding for any day that a student is absent, whether excused or unexcused.
1. Excused Absences: According to California state law, excused absences must fall into one of the following categories:
· Due to illness or injury.
· Due to quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer.
· Having medical, dental, optometry, or chiropractic services rendered.
· Attending the funeral services of a member of the immediate family, limited to one day if in California, three days if out of state.
2. Unexcused Absence: The CA Education Code defines unexcused absences as those that are preventable. For example, reasons such as oversleeping, car trouble, “I didn’t know we were on a special schedule,” etc. are UNEXCUSED.
3. Truancy: The Education Code defines truancy as an absence or a school tardy in excess of 30 minutes without valid excuse by either the parent(s) or guardian(s).
1. CALL the school at 310-842-4340 OR email Mrs. Andrade at email@example.com and explain the reason for the absence EACH morning the child is out. Before or after hours you may leave a message on the voice mail system.
2. Upon return, your child must bring a written note stating the reason for the absence and the dates absent. We are required to verify all absences in writing.
3. If your child has a communicable disease, a serious injury, or for any reason might need to restrict his/her activity, please have him/her check in to the nurse’s office before going to the classroom.
PART DAY ABSENCE
We encourage you to schedule your child's doctor and dental appointments outside school hours. If this is not possible and your child needs to be absent for part of the day, please check in to the office first. Students will be dismissed only through the office to the parent or to the emergency contacts listed on the registration form. This is for your child's protection as well as ours.
Please check the Culver City Unified School District calendar for the year, and schedule family vacations during the many school holidays. Missing school for family trips may affect the student’s learning.